Diocese of Charleston releases statement following alleged sexual assault by priest

SOUTH CAROLINA
Myrtle Beach Online

By Amanda Kelley — akelley@thesunnews.com

The Diocese of Charleston released a statement Monday following an allegation of sexual misconduct by a Charleston area priest.

Hayden Vaverek, a priest who previously served in parishes in Myrtle Beach and Garden City, is on administrative leave, said diocese spokeswoman Maria Aselage.

Authorities said someone told police Vaverek assaulted the person about 15 years ago when Vaverek was pastor at Our Lady of Lourdes in Greenwood. Aselage said no parishioners of Our Lady of Lourdes are involved in the reported sexual assault.

Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.