Clergy sex abuse survivors speak out

MASSACHUSETTS
NECN

[with video]

(NECN: Latoyia Edwards) – Clergy sex abuse victims spoke out Wednesday following the election of Pope Francis I.

Victims say they hope Pope Francis will do a better job than his predecessor in dealing with the continued fallout.

For one clergy sex abuse survivor in Massachusetts, the introduction of Pope Francis was anything but exciting.

“It struck me how the world has been obsessed with it. Imagine if the world had been watching 10 years ago about the issue of childhood sexual abuse,” Gary Bergeron says about the media attention on the conclave.

Bergeron was an altar boy in Lowell in the 1970s and says he was repeatedly sexually abused by the late Reverend Joseph Birmingham.

Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.