Archdiocese Releases Names of 9 Additional Priests Credibly-Accused of Abuse

MINNESOTA
KSTP

By: Jennie Olson

A Minnesota archdiocese has released the names of nine more priests it says were “credibly accused” of sexual abuse of a minor.

The announcement Monday from the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis follows its earlier disclosure of 30 such priests. The disclosure follows a review of clergy files by an outside firm the archdiocese hired after it came under intense criticism for its handling of clergy sexual misconduct.

The archdiocese says it became aware of two of the nine priests after 2004, when it previously released a list of accused priests.

A Ramsey County judge on Sunday had rejected the archdiocese’s request that it not have to release the names of all local priests accused of sexually abusing children since 2004.
Out of the nine priests on the list, three are dead, and all are no longer serving in ministry. The most recent person on the list was removed from ministry in December; the archdiocese removed the rest between 1960 and 2007.

Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.