LOS ANGELES (CA)
Orange County Register
[documents via Jeff Anderson & Associates:
The Punitive Damages Motion Aguilar-Rivera
LA Documents 2-19-14
Los Angeles Archdiocese child sexual abuse timeline
Offender Bios – Aguilar-Rivera et al]
BY GILLIAN FLACCUS / The Associated Press
Published: Feb. 19, 2014
LOS ANGELES – The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles will pay $13 million to settle 17 clergy abuse lawsuits, including 11 that involve a visiting Mexican priest who fled prosecution and remains a fugitive more than 25 years later, plaintiffs’ attorneys said Tuesday.
The deal resolves all remaining clergy abuse lawsuits against the nation’s largest archdiocese.
“We’re happy to have this behind us,” said J. Michael Hennigan, an archdiocese attorney.
The archdiocese settled more than 500 cases in 2007 for a record $660 million and since has resolved numerous others, individually and in small groups.
Eleven plaintiffs in Tuesday’s settlement allege abuse by a visiting Mexican priest, Nicolas Aguilar Rivera, who fled Los Angeles in January 1988 before the church notified police about parent complaints of molestation.
Los Angeles police later determined that at least 26 boys had been sexually abused by the priest during his 10-month stay in Los Angeles.
Aguilar Rivera has been a fugitive for more than two decades and recently was defrocked in absentia. He is wanted on warrants issued in the United States and Mexico.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.