Seven survivors settle childhood sexual abuse claims with Portland Catholic Diocese

PORTLAND (ME)
WGME-TV, CBS affiliate [Portland ME]

August 20, 2026

By WGME staff

Seven survivors of childhood sexual abuse by seven different Catholic priests have reached a settlement with the Roman Catholic Bishop of Portland.

The law firm Berman & Simmons represents the seven survivors. Attorneys say the settlements represent a significant milestone for survivors who have spent decades carrying the physical, emotional, and psychological consequences of abuse that occurred during their childhoods.

Seven survivors of childhood sexual abuse by seven different Catholic priests have reached a settlement with the Roman Catholic Bishop of Portland.

The law firm Berman & Simmons represents the seven survivors. Attorneys say the settlements represent a significant milestone for survivors who have spent decades carrying the physical, emotional, and psychological consequences of abuse that occurred during their childhoods.

“For far too long, survivors were ignored, doubted, or left to carry these burdens on our own. My hope is that this moment sends a message to every survivor that their voice matters, that the truth matters, and that institutions must be held accountable when they fail to protect the people they serve,” Amato said.

“For decades, survivors have lived with the consequences of abuse while the institution that enabled it resisted responsibility,” Berman & Simmons attorney Kristin Murray-James said. “Sadly, that continues to be the case. Recently, the Diocese ‘acknowledged the impact of childhood sexual abuse’ but stopped short of accepting responsibility for what it knew, what it failed to do, and for the impact its decisions had in facilitating the sexual abuse of Maine children.”

The financial terms and other details of the settlements remain confidential.

Portland Bishop James Ruggieri issued a statement, saying in part,

“Through negotiation with their attorneys and impartial mediation, the diocese has reached financial resolutions with many people affected by the Law Court decision. This is intended to acknowledge, in a tangible way, consistent with our resources and obligations, the seriousness of what has been reported and the lasting impact of abuse. Funds used are from those previously designated for liability claims, not from the Catholic Appeal.

The diocese will continue, as it has for decades, to dedicate resources to reviewing and investigating every report, regardless of when the alleged misconduct occurred, and to offering counseling and support services to those who come forward. In that regard it is important to know that our effective and successful program, Protecting God’s Children, has been in place since 2002.

My heart goes out to anyone who has suffered abuse and for the pain and trauma endured. I am mindful, too, of the family members and loved ones who have carried this burden. If you or someone you know who has suffered abuse related to the Church needs assistance, I encourage you to reach out for support.

Please know of my prayers for all who have been harmed and for all who seek healing. I remain committed to listening, acting with integrity, and doing everything within our power to ensure that our parishes and ministries are safe. May God grant comfort to those who suffer and guide us in the work of rebuilding trust.”

https://wgme.com/news/local/seven-survivors-settle-childhood-sexual-abuse-claims-with-portland-catholic-diocese-maine-church-children-catholics