PORTLAND (ME)
WMTW-TV, ABC-8 [Portland ME]
August 21, 2026
By Bonnie Bishop
Keith Amato says he was 6 years old when he was sexually abused by a priest in Van Buren, Maine.
He says he suffered injuries and years of psychological trauma from what happened decades ago.
Amato is one of seven survivors claiming childhood sexual abuse by seven different Catholic priests. All of them are receiving a settlement from the Roman Catholic Bishop of Portland.
“It’s not about the money. It never was,” Amato said. “I just want somebody to say sorry.”
Casey Guidry, the wife of another survivor, Timothy Guidry, says her husband’s memories of abuse led him to addiction, rehab, homelessness and pain.
“It is difficult to explain how it feels to hold your best friend in your arms so, so tightly as he remembers and screams a scream you can never unhear,” Guidry said in a statement.
Berman & Simmons Attorney Timothy Kenlan says the settlement was years in the making.
“Those years of work are nothing compared to the decades that these survivors have endured, the wounds caused by their abuse,” Kenlan said.
The settlement follows a recent Maine Supreme Judicial Court ruling. The ruling prevents certain survivors from pursuing civil litigation after the statute of limitations runs out.
The Diocese announced the settlements earlier this month. Berman & Simmons attorneys would not disclose the dollar amount but did say the Diocese has committed to outreach for clients should they want it.
Portland Diocese reaches financial agreements with past victims of sexual abuse
“I wouldn’t say they made any commitments to institutional changes,” Kenlan said.
“This is intended to acknowledge, in a tangible way, consistent with our resources and obligations, the seriousness of what has been reported and the lasting impact of abuse,” Portland Bishop James Ruggieri said.
The diocese said it will not comment further in response to survivors speaking out on Thursday.
The attorneys representing Amato and others say healing isn’t over, calling for an apology from the diocese.
The diocese has previously said it will continue to dedicate resources to investigate every report of alleged misconduct.
“My heart goes out to anyone who has suffered abuse and for the pain and trauma endured,” Ruggieri said. “I am mindful, too, of the family members and loved ones who have carried this burden.”
If you or someone you know has experienced sexual abuse, you can call the statewide sexual assault helpline at 1-800-871-774.
