Fr. Daniel M. Azzarone, Jr.
Diocese: Diocese of Providence RI
Complaints received as early as 1985, 1992 and 1998-1999. Placed on leave 11/01 after accused of abusing a 15-year-old boy on a Caribbean cruise in 11/00. Abuse continued until 2001, often in rectory. Another youth also accused him of abuse. Pled no contest to two counts of first-degree sexual assault 9/05. Sentenced to 3 years prison and 7 years probation. Named in a 2005 civil suit; settled 8/08 as part of $1.326M settlement by Providence diocese. Laicized 6/12/09, announced 2/10. On diocese’s list 7/1/19.
- Detailed BA.org Assignment Record
- Diocese of Providence Assignment Record
- Providence Journal-Bulletin 11.16.01
- Boston Globe 03.20.02
- Providence Journal-Bulletin 03.20.02
- Providence Journal-Bulletin 04.06.02
- Providence Journal-Bulletin 04.25.02
- Dallas Morning News 06.12.02
- Providence Journal 07.18.05
- Providence Journal 09.06.05
- Providence Journal 09.07.05
- Providence Journal 12.02.07
- Providence Journal 08.31.08
- Statement by Diocese of Providence 02.12.10
- WPRO 08.23.11
- SNAP Letter to Bishop Tobin 08.23.11
- Diocese of Providence List 07.01.19
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.