Fr. William J. Hughes
Diocese: Diocese of Dallas TX
Accused in a 1994 civil suit of molesting a 13-year-old girl 1983-84. Her parents found letters from him and told another priest. Hughes admitted his behavior. Transferred. Diocese destroyed the letters. Suit settled 1998 as part of of $5M settlement, which also included claims against Robert Peebles. Hughes left active priesthood in 1992. On diocese’s list 1/31/19. Noted to have been removed 1989, and laicized. Dallas police raided diocesan headquarters in 5/19 related to the Hughes case and four others.
- Diocese of Dallas Priest Details
- Affidavit of AW Richard Sipe 1996
- Dallas Morning News 08.05.94
- Excerpt from Affidavit of Fr Thomas Doyle 05.16.96
- Dallas Morning News 06.27.97
- Dallas Morning News 10.28.97
- Dallas Morning News 02.12.98
- Dallas Morning News 05.19.05
- Diocese of Dallas List 01.31.19
- Governing 05.16.19
- Dallas Morning News 11.18.19
- Dallas Morning News 05.29.20
Return to main database page. See abbreviations and posting policy. Send corrections.
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.