Fr. Gregory Kareta
Publicly accused in the Monterey diocese in 2003 of abuse of an 11-year-old boy in 1973-74. Three other alleged victims corroborated the charges. Criminal charges dismissed in 2003 due to Supreme Court ruling. Kareta also admitted abusing a youth in the 1960s in WI. Accuser told L.A. archdiocese in 1985; Kareta was kept active. Died 10/4/06. Personnel file released 1/13. On Monterey diocese’s list 1/2/19. It notes report received in 2002 of abuse in the 1970s.
- BA.org Assignment Record
- LA Times Database 4.20.06
- San Luis Obispo Tribune 02.07.03
- Press Enterprise 02.08.03
- San Bernardino Sun 02.11.03
- San Luis Obispo Tribune 03.21.03
- San Luis Obispo Tribune 03.25.03
- San Luis Obispo Tribune 04.16.03
- San Luis Obispo Tribune 07.02.03
- San Luis Obispo Tribune 01.27.04
- LA Archdiocesan Report 02.17.04
- New Times 03.28.13
- Diocese of Monterey List 01.02.19
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.