Fr. Bernard Francis McMeel
Known as “Fr. Barney.” Worked in AK 1955-78. Accused in 2006 suit of abusing a child 1967-70 , ages 4-7. Suit claims he was transferred out of Alaska in 1978 after the order learned he had abused a child. He was assigned to the mission church on an Indian reservation in Great Falls, MT 1978 until his death 1/6/94. Claims included in 11/07 settlement with Jesuits. One pending claim shown in bankruptcy reorganization documents for Fairbanks diocese 1/25/10. On Great Falls-Billings list 8/21/18. On Jesuits West list 12/7/18. It notes sex abuse of a minor in 1977, reported in 1978.
- Alaskan Shepherd June-July 2003: Our Lady of the Snows Parish, Hooper Bay, Alaska: 1928-2003
- Fairbanks Daily News-Miner 02.09.06
- Havare Daily News [Montana] 02.10.06
- Havre Daily News [Montana] 02.10.06
- KBZK [Montana] 02.21.06
- Independent Record 02.22.06
- Anchorage Daily News 11.20.07
- Great Falls Tribune 10.09.09
- Good Jesuit, Bad Jesuit 11.12.09
- Excerpt from Bankruptcy Reorganization Documents for Fairbanks Diocese 01.25.10
- Jesuits West Province List 12.07.18
- Diocese of Great Falls-Billings List 08.21.19
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.