Fr. Charles J. Siegele
Diocese: Archdiocese of Philadelphia PA
Accused of abuse of 6-7 boys in the 1950s -60s. One claim settled in 1990s. Named in civil suit filed 2004. Named in 2006 class action suit. Dismissed by lower court, then by Third Circuit Court of Appeals 11/07. Died 1/28/89. Name (as Siegle) is included on secret 1994 memo from Wm. Lynn to Msgr. James Molloy (released 2/27/12) regarding priests in secret archives who sexually abused minors. At least one accuser, who alleged he was plied with alcohol and sodomized by Siegele as a boy, received funds in 2019 via the archdiocese’s time-limited compensation fund.
- Philadelphia Archdiocese Assignment Record
- Philadelphia Archdiocesan Priest Data Profile
- USA Today 11.11.02
- Philadelphia Daily News 03.16.04
- Philadelphia Grand Jury Report 09.21.05
- Mangum et al v Archdiocese of Philadelphia et al, 06.14.06
- Law com 11.07.07
- 1994 Memo from Fr William Lynn to Asst Vicar for Admin re Names in Philadelphia Secret Archives, released 02.27.12
- WHYY 10.10.19
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.