Fr. Joseph Smetana
Spent 31 years as a priest in Nicaragua. Identified in 6/18/13 “Report of the Audit and Review of the Files of the Capuchin Province of St. Joseph” as current friar with confirmed reports of sexual abuse of minors. Smetana’s name is included on this list without any additional information on claims against him. Removed from public ministry, living under supervision. Included on the La Crosse diocese’s list 1/18/20, where he worked at some point at St. Henry in Eau Galle. Permanently removed from ministry.
- Report of the Audit and Review of the Files of the Capuchin Province of St Joseph 06.18.13
- Capuchin List of Friars with Confirmed Reports of Sexual Abuse of Minors 06.18.13
- Statement on the Public Release of the Names of Friars with Confirmed Allegations of Sexual Abuse of Minors and Vulnerable Adults 06.18.13
- Diocese of La Crosse List 01.18.20
- Capuchin Friars St. Joseph Province List 08.19.21
Our Database of Publicly Accused does not state or imply that individuals facing allegations are guilty of a crime or liable for civil claims. The reports contained in the database are merely allegations. The U.S. legal system presumes that a person accused of or charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Similarly, individuals who may be defendants in civil actions are presumed not to be liable for such claims unless a plaintiff proves otherwise. Admissions of guilt or liability are not typically a part of civil or private settlements. For more information, see our posting policy.