Jail for Sex Rap Rev
Judge rejects priest's offer of castration

By Robert Gearty
New York Daily News
November 16, 2000

After his rambling plea for mercy, and offer to undergo chemical castration was rejected, a retired Catholic priest was sentenced yesterday to prison for sodomizing a mentally disabled teenager in a Tobay Beach public rest room.

"My main purpose in addressing the court is to make a confession of guilt without any reservation on my part, but also to beg mercy," said the Rev. Andrew Millar before being sentenced to one to three years for sexually abusing the 15-year-old boy in May.

"There are worse things in life than death," he said. "I've always said that. Now I know the meaning of that."

During a 45-minute address to the court, Millar, 71, said he would allow himself to be chemically castrated if he could avoid prison.

The proposal was turned down by Nassau County Court Judge Richard LaPera.

"It's not with a cavalier heart I render sentence," said LaPera, who could have given Millar up to four years.

Cops said the boy was sexually attacked after Millar found him in the bathroom at the Oyster Bay Town beach. The boy's father went looking for his son and when he entered the bathroom, he saw Millar in one of the stalls with the boy.

Millar pleaded guilty to sodomy in July. At that time, LaPera said he would consider sentencing Millar to a treatment facility for priests accused of sexual abuse, but he made no commitment.

Millar served in several parishes on Long Island for more than three decades. He retired last year. At the time of his arrest, was living in the rectory of St. Peter and Paul Church in Manorville.

The boy's parents were at the sentencing and asked LaPera to show no leniency.

The father said the incident had victimized not only his son, but himself. The mother said allowing Millar to avoid prison would send a "message to perverts" that they can get away with their crime.

When Millar stood up to speak, he offered the parents an apology. He also apologized to his fellow priests.

"Every priest in the Rockville Centre Diocese has been diminished by what I've done," he said.

As he continued, he offered more apologies to others - but not to the victim.

"I did give my life to the priesthood," he said. "It's rightfully been taken away. I've been disgraced."

The longer Millar spoke, the more LaPera shifted restlessly. Finally, he interrupted and had Millar stop talking.

Millar had been free on $15,000 bail. After being sentenced, court officers led him from the room in handcuffs.

Millar said nothing to reporters as he waited for an elevator that would take him from the second floor to the basement.

Defense attorney Peter Rubin of Rockville Centre said after the sentencing that the crime was "an isolated incident."

He said he could offer no motive.


Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.