Judge Holds off on Setting Date for Diocese Trial
By Paul A. Long
Downloaded May 6, 2003
A Kenton County judge on Monday held off setting a trial date for a lawsuit that alleges the Diocese of Covington created a hostile work environment.
Circuit Judge Steve Jaeger said he first wants to decide on a number of outstanding motions, including some the church filed Monday morning seeking dismissal of the case.
John DiMuzio and his son, Mark, who combined to work for the diocese for 68 years in the maintenance department, filed the lawsuit last year. They said that complaints made about incidents of sexual abuse and harassment over the years fell on deaf ears.
The diocese has denied the claims.
The abuse cited in the lawsuit includes claims that Mark DiMuzio was sexually assaulted by Bishop J. Kendrick Williams, who resigned last year as head of the Diocese of Lexington after similar allegations were raised about his days as a priest in Louisville.
Williams has denied ever abusing anyone.
The lawsuit also claims that Rev. Paul Ciangetti, who died in 1995, molested the younger DiMuzio when he was an altar boy at Mary Queen of Heaven Church in Erlanger in 1971-72.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.