Accuser Outraged at Dismissal of Charges against Ex-Priest
WALB [Los Angeles CA]
July 8, 2003
Los Angeles-AP -- A woman who accused a former priest of sexual abuse says she's outraged the charges against him have been dropped.
Jackie Dennis says the decision consumed her "with fits of rage and crying." And she says "thousands of people" are feeling the same way.
Dennis reported to authorities last year that George Rucker molested her and her two sisters while they attended a South Los Angeles Catholic school during the 1970s. Rucker pleaded innocent.
Prosecutors yesterday dismissed charges against Rucker -- who's now 82. They say they had little choice after the U-S Supreme Court overturned a California law erasing the statute of limitations in many decades-old molestation cases.
Three former Catholic clergymen charged with sexual molestation in L-A County have now had charges thrown out. Eight other cases are still being reviewed.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.