Casey Sex Assault Claim Unfounded
One in Four [Ireland]
January 17, 2006
Disgraced Bishop Eamon Casey is in the clear over allegations that he carried out a sexual assault.
The Star can reveal that gardai are now satisfied there is not substance to the allegations made against him late last year by a Limerick-born woman.
His English bishop last night said he would welcome him back to his rural parish – but he didn't know where he was.
It's understood that gardai are now happy that no further action should be taken in the investigation, which began in December after the woman made a formal complaint and Bishop Casey stood down as a priest.
Sources have confirmed that Dr Casey (79) – who resigned as Bishop of Galway in 1992 after it emerged he had had an affair with Annie Murphy and fathered a boy named Peter – will not face any charges over the claims.
Officers are likely to send a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions soon, but it will contain a recommendation that no charges should be laid against him.
The allegation against him was made by a middle-aged woman now living in Britain, but who alleged Dr Casey abused her when she was in Limerick.
She first went to a Catholic Church child protection officer in Britain, who then passed the details to a colleague in Ireland.
His Bishop in the diocese of Arundel and Brighton, Dr Kieran Conry, said he would fully welcome Bishop Casey back to Staplefield parish in Sussex, where he is known as Fr Eamon.
"If it is true that there is to be no prosecution, then I would of course welcome Fr Eamon back," Bishop Conry told The Star.
"But I haven't spoken to him since he left and I have no idea where he is, I think he's somewhere in Ireland."
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.