|Ex-Indy Priest Faces 7th Suit in Child Sex Abuse
February 8, 2006
A former Indianapolis priest now faces a seventh lawsuit making a claim of child sexual abuse -- this time from a man who said he was victimized while he was an altar boy and a Boy Scout.
The former Rev. Harry Monroe now faces more pending sex abuse suits than all the other accused priests in the Archdiocese of Indianapolis combined.
Monroe, who served three parishes in Indianapolis, was relieved of his ministerial duties in 1984 while serving St. Paul parish in Tell City.
Pat Noaker, a Minnesota attorney representing Monroe's accusers, said Monroe developed a relationship with the latest plaintiff at St. Paul in 1983 or 1984 while working with the Boy Scouts and having oversight of the altar boys.
The plaintiff -- named in court documents only as John Doe 141 -- is 34 and now lives out of state, Noaker said. He also alleges Monroe was placed in his parish even though the archdiocese had been aware that six other minor boys reported Monroe had molested them from 1979 to 1981.
Indianapolis attorney Bryan Ciyou, who represents Monroe in some of the cases, was not aware of this case and had no comment. Greg Otolski, a spokesperson for the archdiocese, also named as a defendant, said he would have no comment on the case.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.