Skylstad: Diocese to "Treat All Victims Fairly"
The Associated Press, carried in KXLY
February 13, 2006
SPOKANE -- Alleged victims of sexual abuse by priests who are not included in a settlement offer by the Catholic Diocese of Spokane will not be ignored according to Spokane Bishop William Skylstad.
A settlement offer to 75 victims of sexual abuse by priests that was released this month does not include about 20 people who have not filed lawsuits against the diocese.
But Skylstad says he intends to deal fairly with those victims.
"I want to make clear that neither I nor the Diocese intended by the settlement offer announced last week to ignore or leave behind those victims not included in the offer," Skylstad said in a statement Monday morning.
"It is our intent to treat all victims fairly," he added.
Bishop Skylstad says the Diocese is aware of approximately 20 victims that are not included in the settlement offer presented to victims on February 1st. Skylstad adds there are "probably more" that have not come forward yet with their claims.
There is a March 10 deadline for people to file legal claims against the Spokane Diocese using a Confidential Proof of Claim of Sexual Abuse.
Those wishing to file a claim can call (888) 909-0100 or go to the website listed on the right.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.