LA Jury in Retired Priest's Molestation Trial Tries to Break Deadlock
By Chantelle Janelle
WIS [Los Angeles CA]
February 22, 2006
(Los Angeles, California-AP) February 21, 2006 - The jury in the Los Angeles molestation trial of a retired priest wanted three pages of questions answered to help them break a deadlock on four counts. But the judge said the jury was really asking for additional evidence.
The jury reached agreement on one count last week. It's being kept under seal.
At least four jurors indicated additional deliberations might help. One woman said: "We're kind of close on some counts."
But two other jurors disagreed. The judge told them to try again.
Michael Wempe admits molesting 13 boys in the 1970s and '80s, including the two older brothers of the current accuser. But Wempe denies molesting the accuser.
The defense contends that man is lying about being molested in the 1990s in order to get revenge for his brothers.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.