Former Foxboro Priest Indicted
By Heather McCarron
April 21, 2006
Foxbord - A former Foxboro priest is facing charges of rape and indecent assault and battery stemming from incidents that allegedly took place in the late 1960s, according to the Norfolk County District Attorney's office.
Gerard McMahon, 70, was indicted last Thursday by a Norfolk County grand jury on one count of rape of a child and one count of indecent assault and battery on a child, the DA's office said. The crimes are alleged to have taken place between 1967 and 1970, when McMahon was assigned to St. Mary's Catholic Church in Foxboro.
According to the DA's office, McMahon, of Pensacola, Fla., knew the female victim through his duties in the Foxboro parish.
David Traub, a spokesman for the district attorney's office, said the allegations were put forth last year. An investigation followed that led up to last week's indictment.
"A grand jury investigation lasting that period of time is not unheard of," said Traub. "There was a lot of work that went into this on statute of limitations side and the investigations side."
The state is able to pursue the case because the statute of limitations was suspended when McMahon left the state.
The woman who is making the allegations still resides in New England, Traub said.
Father Tom Riley, the current priest assigned to the Foxboro parish, said he became aware of the indictment through the media. He said the allegations date to long before his time with the parish, and he noted all inquiries are being referred to church authorities above him.
"Everything goes right to the diocese," he said.
In a statement issued on April 13, the Archdiocese of Boston acknowledged the indictment, saying the office learned about the investigation into the allegations through the district attorney.
"The Archdiocese cooperated fully with the district attorney's investigation," the Archdiocese stated. "He (McMahon) has been restricted from the exercise of any public ministry while this matter is being investigated."
McMahon was last assigned in the Boston Archdiocese in 1970, the Archdiocese stated, and served in the military for 20 years before retiring to Florida.
Traub said he is unaware of any other victims coming forward. No arraignment date has yet been set.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.