List of Catholic Abuse Settlements
Associated Press, carried in Seattle Post-Intelligencer [United States]
December 1, 2006
Sexual abuse by Roman Catholic priests has cost the U.S. church more than $1.5 billion since 1950. The following is a list of some of the largest known payouts to victims since the crisis intensified in 2002 with revelations that a molester priest was moved among parishes in the Boston Archdiocese without alerting parents or police:
- Diocese of Orange, Calif., 2004, $100 million for 90 abuse claims.
- Diocese of Covington, Ky., 2006, up to $85 million for roughly 350 people.
- Archdiocese of Boston, 2003, $85 million for 552 claims.
- Archdiocese of Los Angeles, 2006, $60 million for 45 lawsuits.
- Diocese of Oakland, Calif., 2005, $56 million to 56 people.
- Archdiocese of Louisville, Ky., 2003, $25.7 million to 243 victims.
- Diocese of Tucson, Ariz., 2005, agrees to fund a settlement trust worth about $22 million for more than 50 victims as part of a plan to emerge from bankruptcy protection.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.