Loyola College Removes Priest for Old Allegations

Associated Press, carried in WJZ
April 13, 2007

(AP) Baltimore Loyola College removed a Jesuit clergy member from its Baltimore campus after learning he had been fired from a

Jesuit high school in Dallas 13 years ago because of numerous allegations of sexual misconduct and because he acknowledged to serving alcohol to minors.

Claude Ory, 69, was removed from his position managing the Jesuits' Ignatius House residence last month at the request of Loyola's president, Rev. Brian Linnane, school officials told The Baltimore Examiner.

Loyola spokesman Mark Kelly said he believed Linnane learned of the allegations involving Ory when he became president in 2005. "The college felt, and the Jesuit Province agreed, that it did not want someone with any of those kind of allegations near campus," Kelly said.

Ory has not been charged with any crime.

Ory is at least the third Jesuit clergy member with substantial sexual abuse allegations to be transferred from a Jesuit high school to Loyola College, a pattern that concerns some victims advocates. "The concern we have is that the Jesuits don't even understand how 'leaky' their system is," said Helen Daly, a priest abuse survivor from Towson and co-founder of "If you just read the public record, you can document this stuff, and absolutely, there is a pattern of shuffling Jesuits after allegations are made from a high school to college."

The Rev. Cornell Bradley lived at Loyola Ignatius House for two years in the late 1980s after a former Washington Gonzaga High School student came forward with allegations from the 1970s. Bradley was removed from active ministry in January, Maryland Province spokeswoman Kate Pipkin said, after an investigation last year confirmed that Bradley, 69, committed sexual misconduct with a Baltimore male in the early 1980s.

And the Rev. Garrett Orr taught at Loyola College after leaving a position at Georgetown Preparatory School. The Jesuit Province acknowledged last year that a 2002 accusation of sexual abuse against Orr, was "substantially true," Pipkin confirmed Thursday.

Pipkin said Orr was transferred from Loyola's campus a year and a half ago, and was given a leave of absence, but she could not say where he had moved.


Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.