|Bankruptcy Judge Plans Ruling on Ore. Priest Files
Associated Press, carried in OregonLive
October 1, 2008
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A federal bankruptcy judge says she will rule on whether to release personnel files about Roman Catholic priests accused of sexual abuse following a $50 million settlement last year.
The Archdiocese of Portland agreed to release some documents as part of the settlement, which covered about 175 claims and also set aside another $20 million for future claims.
But a small group of victims who did not agree to the terms of the settlement have asked U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Elizabeth Perris to release additional documents.
Perris said Tuesday she would make a separate ruling in the case, which was mediated by U.S. District Judge Michael Hogan in Eugene.
Hogan also acted as arbitrator in a dispute over releasing additional documents from the settlement that is still pending.
Perris did not say when she would rule.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.