|Priest Suspected of Affair Barred from NYC Service
November 1, 2008
NEW YORK (AP) ? Church officials say a visiting Catholic priest accused in a $25 million lawsuit of luring a distraught divorcee into a seven-month affair has been barred from serving in New York City.
The Diocese of Brooklyn says the accuser reported the affair in August but refused to out the priest. They learned it was the Rev. Elvis Elano when the suit was filed earlier this week.
Church officials declined to comment on the lawsuit. They did not have contact information for Elano or the name of an attorney for him.
Elano was ordained in the Philippines in 1992. He had been visiting from Texas and served in parishes in Brooklyn and Queens.
The suit says the affair began after the 50-year-old plaintiff went to confession at a Queens church and told the priest about her divorce from an abusive husband.
The lawsuit says the priest encouraged her to have an affair with him to overcome her pain about her marriage.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.