|Kiwi Seeks Compo over Alleged Abuse by Aussie Priest
November 24, 2008
A New Zealand woman is launching a compensation claim against a diocese in New South Wales for alleged sexual abuse by the late Father Denis McAlinden.
The abuse allegedly occurred after McAlinden was sent to New Zealand during the 1980s, the Newcastle Herald reported.
Solicitor Kate Maher confirmed she had been contacted by the New Zealand woman, whose name has not been released publicly.
Maitland-Newcastle Bishop Michael Malone issued a statement in October 2007 saying McAlinden was a serial child sex offender over nearly five decades, and was wanted by police for alleged child sex offences at the time of his death in 2005.
The Herald said it was aware of at least 20 victims.
It investigated the priest with the help of an Australian activist group, Broken Rites, which was told a girl aged 10 in Western Australia's parish at Wickham complained of being sexually abused by the priest in 1982.
By 1984 the priest was "on loan" to the Diocese of Hamilton, in the Waikato, where he did "supply" (relieving work) in rural parishes.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.