|Bishop Says Diocese Shouldn't Have Hired Priest
By Associated Press, carried on Fox44
December 12, 2008
BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) - The head of Vermont's Catholic church says the church made a mistake in hiring a priest with a history of molestation allegations against him.
In videotaped testimony shown to a jury in a priest sex abuse trial Thursday, Diocese of Burlington Bishop Salvatore Matano said late Bishop John Marshall's hiring of Rev. Edward Paquette was wrong but that Marshall relied on the advice of psychologists who thought Paquette had been cured.
The jury in Chittenden County Superior Court is hearing the case of a former altar boy who says Paquette molested him in the 1970s. The Diocese contends the man waited too long to file his lawsuit. Paquette, who now lives, in Westfield, Mass., is not named as a defendant.
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.