|Archdiocese: Allegations against Priest Are Unsubstantiated
January 2, 2009
Two allegations of sexual abuse of a minor by a priest have been found to be unsubstantiated, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston said today.
In a statement posted on its website, the archdiocese said that Rev. James F. Power, 78, had been removed from administrative leave and assigned the status of senior priest.
While the claims were found unsubstantiated, the statement said Power must seek permission from the archdiocese's vicar general to administer sacraments beyond his family. Archdiocese spokeswoman Ann Carter had no comment on the statement.
Power was assigned to St. James the Great Church in Wellesley when he was placed on administrative leave in February 2002. The action was taken after a review of his file revealed he had been the subject of an allegation in 1993. A second allegation was reported in October 2002, the statement said. No details of the allegations were provided.
"The Cardinal and the Archdiocese remain committed to resolving cases of this nature in a manner that is as just as possible for all involved," the statement said.
Power was among a group of clergymen who were removed from their posts in 2002 after a review of personnel records dating back 40 years. At the time, the church had already settled sexual molestation claims against Power and several others in the group, according to people involved in the settlements, the Globe reported.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.