|Priest Accused of Sex Abuse of Minor, Yanked from Ministry
November 12, 2009
A priest has been removed from ministry at a West Side church after the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago found evidence he sexually abused a child, according to a letter sent to parishioners last week.
The Rev. Edward Maloney is a retired priest who served at St. Mark's Roman Catholic Church at 1048 N. Campbell.
The archdiocese learned of the allegation several months ago, according to a letter sent Nov. 7 by the Rev. John R. Manz, the auxiliary bishop of Chicago.
The archdiocese's Independent Review Board reviewed the allegation and found credible evidence of abuse, and Francis Cardinal George accepted the recommendation that Maloney not engage in any form of ministry, Manz said in the letter.
The Vatican is reviewing the case, Manz said.
"I ask you to join me in praying for all people in need of the Lord's peace and healing; for the victim who brought this concern to the Archdiocese, for all those affected by the horror of sexual abuse, and for Father Maloney," the letter said.
Maloney, 80, of Fox Lake, denies the allegations, according to his brother, Francis Maloney.
Barbara Blaine, president of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, criticized George for not announcing the allegations against Maloney earlier.
"We commend the brave victim who has come forward, exposed a predator and helped protect kids. We hope he or she realizes what a heroic step he or she has taken," Blaine said.
"At the same time, we're very disappointed in George's continuing callousness and secrecy surrounding clergy sex crimes. According to the archdiocesan website, Maloney was allegedly removed from parish ministry six months ago, though we see no evidence that any announcement was made at that time."
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.