|Rev. Charles Schultz, Ousted from Job, Back in Arizona
By Michael Clancy
September 11, 2010
A Roman Catholic priest who was ousted from his job as chaplain at Luke Air Force Base this past spring apparently has returned to Arizona after spending time in his home state of California, and an abuse-victims group is asking that the Phoenix Diocese watch him closely.
The Rev. Charles Schultz lost his job at the base in March after the Air Force was notified that he had been restricted from serving in an administrative or supervisory position in his home diocese of San Bernardino, where he had been accused of physical abuse, creating a hostile work environment and verbal abuse of parish staff. No charges were filed.
Luke officials were unaware he had had any issues until they were notified by the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP.
After a short stint back in California, Schultz now is listed on the San Bernardino Diocese website as retired.
Phoenix Diocese spokesman Rob DeFrancesco said the diocese is aware that Schultz is here.
SNAP leaders demand that Phoenix Bishop Thomas Olmsted "ensure that Schultz remain retired, bar him from any role around children and families, warn the communities where Schultz lives about his past, and refuse to allow Schultz to take any new positions - formal or informal - in the diocese."
SNAP leader David Clohessy said the organization, created to give a voice to victims of sexual abuse, is hearing "more and more" about priests accused of other types of abuse.
"We respond to all who come to us," he said. "We refer many of these people to Voice of the Faithful," an organization of Catholic lay people working to modernize church governance.
"This overall pattern of moving troubled priests around concerns us," he said.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.