|Convicted Priest to Stop Attending Church Services: Archbishop
October 6, 2010
The Roman Catholic Archbishop of St. John's, Martin Currie, says a priest convicted of sexual abuse almost two decades ago has agreed to discontinue attending church services in the community of St. Brendan's. Father Michael Walsh returned to St. Brendan's after leaving his job as a hospital chaplain in Halifax last year, and Archbishop Currie admits the community has become divided over his presence.
The priest had been allowed to assist the parish priest in celebrating mass, but he has had no other pastoral duties. Currie says the priest is suffering from memory loss and forgetfulness, and has a lot of family in the community. Archbishop Currie says he doesn't feel there is anything for residents to be upset about, but indicates he may suggest the priest move from the community. Currie will head to the community Friday to meet with people and to celebrate mass.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.