|Warren Priest Put on Leave after Sex Abuse Report
By Oralandar Brand-Williams
October 30, 2011
Warren— A 66-year-old local Roman Catholic priest has been placed on leave after church authorities found "sufficient substance" of sexual misconduct, Archdiocese of Detroit officials announced Sunday.
The Rev. Gary Schulte, the pastor of St. Sylvester Parish in Warren, was placed on leave Friday by the church. He also is barred from conducting any form of Mass or public ministry.
The actions were taken against Schulte after church authorities received a complaint last month alleging the "sexual misconduct" with a male under the age of 18 dating back to the priest's early years in his ministry in the Detroit archdiocese. The complaint was received by the Victim Assistance Coordinator for the church.
"We're not talking about a minor — not a prepubescent male," said Joe Kohn, spokesman for the Detroit Archdiocese.
No other details about the allegations were released, but Kohn said the case was sent to the Macomb County prosecutor's office.
"It is our practice in a case like this to hand it over to civil authorities and that's what was done in this regard," said Kohn. He said the Archdiocese also has launched its own investigation.
Kohn said parishioners at St. Sylvester were told about the allegations and the case this weekend. About 1,000 families belong to the parish, said Kohn.
The Rev. Thomas Sutherland, a senior and retired priest, is serving as the church's temporary pastor.
Schulte joined the parish in 1994, said Kohn.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.