Whistleblower Peter Fox Has No Regrets
By Joanne McCarthy
September 15, 2013
|Peter Fox outside the special commission of inquiry in Newcastle on July 4 this year.
DETECTIVE Chief Inspector Peter Fox has no regrets.
‘‘Someone’s got to be the sacrifice,’’ he said on the anniversary of the day he told a public meeting in Newcastle that NSW Police alone could not achieve justice for the victims of historic child sexual abuse.
An open letter to Premier Barry O’Farrell in the Newcastle Herald on November 8 last year led to an appearance on the ABC’s Lateline, the announcement of a NSW commission of inquiry on November 9, and a federal royal commission on November 12.
‘‘It’s taken a huge toll on me and my family,’’ Inspector Fox said of his 13 days of evidence at the NSW inquiry and strong criticism from some of the serving police officers.
His police career is finished, but he takes comfort from the support he has received from victims, their families and the public.
‘‘There was evidence at the inquiry that I probably cared for victims too much,’’ he said.
‘‘There’s so many good things have come out of it. How could I have regrets?’’