First Civil Suit to Be Filed under Child Victims Act Involving Sexual Abuse on a Reservation
Jeff Anderson & Associates
November 21, 2013
Father J. Vincent Fitzgerald sexually abused children
on White Earth, Leech Lake and Lake Traverse Reservations in Minnesota and South Dakota
Defendants include the Diocese of Crookston and Oblates of Mary Immaculate
What: At a news conference Thursday in the lobby of the Polk County Courthouse in Crookston, Lonna
Hunter, a passionate advocate for Native children and sexual abuse attorney Jeff Anderson will:
• Announce the filing of a sexual abuse lawsuit on behalf a man, Doe 19, who was abused by Father J. Vincent Fitzgerald at St. Ann’s Parish in Naytawaush, Minnesota, on the White Earth Indian Reservation. The lawsuit names the Diocese of Crookston, and the Oblates of Mary Immaculate alleging they were negligent in placing Fitzgerald in parishes and communities where he had access to children even after learning that Fitzgerald was a child molester.
• Request the release of names of credibly accused and admitted child molesters from the Diocese of Crookston. This is the first time Fitzgerald’s name has been publicly released in Minnesota.
• Notify sexual abuse survivors who experienced abuse on any reservation in Minnesota that the Child Victims Act may be able to help them achieve healing and justice. Fitzgerald allegedly abused children on all three reservations, including orphaned children on the Lake Traverse Reservation as part of the Sisseton, South Dakota Indian Mission.
WHEN: Thursday November 21, 2013 at 1:00PM CST
WHERE: Inside the Crookston Courthouse
816 Marin Ave.
Crookston, MN 56716
WHO: Lonna Hunter, an advocate for Native children who has worked tirelessly for policy and effective responses to institutional child sexual abuse. She previously worked with the Minnesota Indian Women’s Sexual Assault Coalition and is currently the program coordinator the federal Office of Victims of Crime project, the Minnesota Network Legal Services for Victims of Crime at the Council on Crime and Justice. Attorney Jeff Anderson, is a St. Paul, Minnesota based attorney who, through the civil justice system, advocates nationwide for sexual abuse survivors.
• Copies of the documents and complaint will be available at www.andersonadvocates.com.
• Fitzgerald is deceased and held positions in the Diocese of Duluth, Diocese of Crookston, the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, Diocese of Springfield (IL), Diocese of Belleville (IL), Diocese of Sioux Falls, Archdiocese of Portland (OR) and the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau (MO).
Contact: Jeff Anderson: Cell: 612.817.8665 Office: 651.964.3473
Lonna Hunter: Cell: 651.442.3253