Evangelical Preacher Gary Forbes Admits Sexually Abusing Two Boys in the 1960s

By Dan Proudman
Newcastle Herald
November 16, 2016

FORMER Christian radio station boss and evangelical preacher Dr Gary Alexander Forbes has admitted to a court that he abused two brothers more than 20 years after first admitting his “sins” and 50 years after the abuse took place.

Forbes, 73, was committed on Wednesday to face Newcastle District Court for sentencing on three counts of assaulting a male and committing an act of indecency.

Agreed facts tendered during the committal proceedings said Forbes had abused one brother before moving onto his younger sibling when the older boy started in the workforce.

He had met them at a Christian gospel church in suburban Newcastle and had become friendly with the boys’ family.

Forbes, who began the abuse when he was a teenager himself, had told one of the boys that “it was his special game and not to tell anyone as it was a secret’’, the court documents said.

The brothers, who were abused in the 1960s, did not realise each other had fallen prey to Forbes until 1995, before one brother had also told an elder at Adamstown Gospel Church, where Forbes had become a pastor, that they had been abused.

The elder confronted Forbes who told him “what they are saying is true’’ and agreed to meet them.

At the 1995 meeting, Forbes said: “I admit that there was very significant and sinful and very wrong sexual activity that took place. I would have to acknowledge to have been the instigator as I was the oldest person, I will accept responsibility’’.

Forbes agreed to stand down as pastor and, in 1999, resigned from the church and made the public announcement: “When I was a young man, before I was married, I participated in inappropriate and very wrong sexual misconduct.’’

The court heard a police investigation last year into unrelated allegations made about a youth worker at the church had uncovered Forbes’ abuse, before statements were taken and he was charged earlier this year.

Forbes, of Cardiff, has been involved in several gospel churches across Newcastle and was the former Rhema FM Newcastle station manager.

He remains on bail with his case adjourned to Newcastle District Court on November 24 where a date will be fixed for his sentencing hearing.

One of the men has told police the abuse affected his self-confidence and had taken away his childhood because he had “blacked out a lot of what happened”.








Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.