DA: CNY priest on leave does not pose any danger to minors
December 10, 2016
ROME, N.Y. -- Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said that after investigating the allegations made against a Catholic priest in Central New York they found no proof, evidence, or witnesses to back up the allegations.
Rev. Paul Angelicchio, pastor of St. John the Baptist and Transfiguration parish in Rome, is currently on a leave of absence after allegations surfaced of abuse of a minor from nearly three decades ago.
The investigation is currently being conducted by the Diocese of Syracuse who have confirmed that Angelicchio has been accused of abusing a minor 27 years ago.
DA Fitzpatrick says that the "allegation is of passive conduct on the priest's part while faced with knowledge of sexual abuse." He goes on to also say that, "The complainant only revealed this last year although he has been interviewed many times in the past and never disclosed this."
The District Attorney's Office explained that there are no witnesses to this alleged crime, that there is no crime scene and that there is no corroborating evidence. In addition since the alleged crimes was decades ago, Fitzpatrick said that the statue of limitations has long since passed.
Fitzpatrick also said that Father Angelicchio had denied the allegations and that Angelicchio in no way poses any danger to minors.
At this time, Angelicchio couldn't be reached for a comment.