Latest Sex Abuse Victim Recounts Being Tied to Tree and Repeatedly Raped
By Janela Carrera
Pacific News Center
May 18, 2017
The alleged victim says he was only 11 or 12 years old at the time and he begged Father Louis Brouillard to stop, screaming "I think I'm dying."
Guam - Horrid details have been revealed in the latest sexual abuse lawsuit filed against former priest and Boy Scout master Father Louis Brouillard. This latest case describes a rape so violent that it might be hard for some people to stomach.
But the Boy Scouts is moving forward in seeking dismissal of the cases even with a confession from the disgraced priest.
It’s perhaps the most disturbing and frightening one yet. A lawsuit filed against the Archdiocese of Agana and Boy Scouts of America revealing the horrid details of how a minor was repeatedly raped while he was tied up to a tree back in the 1970s.
The lawsuit was filed by a man with the initials B.J. who’s now 57 years old. B.J. says in his lawsuit that he first met Brouillard when he was 11 or 12 years old. B.J. was not an altar server or a member of the Boy Scouts but says that Brouillard often picked up B.J. and his friends in Chalan Pago and offered them free swimming lessons at the Lonfit River.
This became routine, but B.J. says in one particular occasion, while walking alone in his village, Brouillard picked him up and took him to the Lonfit River by himself. Under the pretense of teaching B.J. survival skills to prepare him for when he joins the military, B.J. says Brouillard tied him up against a tree and told him he would teach him how to rescue a prisoner.
Instead, while still tied up to a tree, B.J. says Brouillard repeatedly sexually assaulted, sodomized and raped him. In his complaint, B.J. says he begged Brouillard to stop, screaming in pain from the bleeding and even told Brouillard, “Stop, I think I’m dying.” At one point, BJ says in court papers that he became exhausted and felt weak from the repeated abuse.
After Brouillard was finished, B.J. says Brouillard paid him $3, dropped him off to a local store and told him not to "hesitate to ask him for anything, whether it’s money, food or clothes."
Attorney Patrick Civille, who represents the Boy Scouts appeared in District Court today for a hearing on a handful of the cases filed so far, during which he revealed that the Boy Scouts is seeking dismissal of the cases filed against them.
At the crux of the Boy Scouts’ argument is the ambiguity in the law that lifted the statute of limitations for civil claims of sexual abuse indefinitely, as well as constitutional violations within the law. The motion points out that an organization can speak for itself only through its employees “most, if not all, of whom will be dead or gone 40 to 60 years later.”
But for an organization like the Boy Scouts, which is volunteer-led and locally organized, they would be less likely to keep extensive records to substantiate such claims of abuse.
The Boy Scouts also argue that the Legislature was not clear in its intent in passing the law as to the retroactivity of the law. The only clarity that could be discerned in the legislation was to remove any legal challenges from a previous bill that only lifted the statute for two years, as well as to “finally make it possible for those child sexual abuse survivors to seek justice against their victimizers.”
In court today, US Magistrate Judge Joaquin Manibusan gave Attorney David Lujan, who represents all sex abuse plaintiffs in federal court, until June 2 to prove jurisdiction. The judge also ordered that any similar case filed after June 2 must include diversity jurisdiction.
In the meantime, the lawsuits are still held in abeyance until Judge Manibusan can determine diversity jurisdiction. The next hearing for the parties is June 8 at 11 am.