Former altar boy reported sexual abuse

By Mindy Aguon
Guam Daily Post
May 28, 2017

A former altar boy who was allegedly sexually abused when he was 9 years old said he reported the abuse decades later to Catholic Church officials.

G.J., who used his initials to protect his identity, filed a civil complaint in the District Court of Guam yesterday against the Archdiocese of Agana and former priest Andrew Mannetta.

The lawsuit states G.J. became an altar boy at the Mangilao parish in 1985 to learn about priesthood and considered the Mangilao church his "second home."

Attorney David Lujan, who represents G.J., accuses Mannetta of developing an "evil campaign" to induce altar boys to spend the night at the rectory so they wouldn't be late to serve at early morning Mass.

Mannetta was parish priest at the Mangilao church in 1985 and allegedly had the altar boys watch soft porn during the sleepovers.

During these sleepovers G.J. alleges he was sexually abused and molested by Mannetta, who allegedly called the boy into his bedroom to massage and fondle him. The lawsuit states the priest attempted to force the boy to perform oral sex on him and then abused him.

'Deep trauma' of abuse

The sexual abuse had a "huge impact" on G.J.'s life, transforming the outgoing and determined straight-A student. After the abuse he began to fail in school and lose interest in joining the priesthood, the lawsuit states.

Decades later in 2009, G.J. continued to suffer "deep trauma" and reached out to the church.

Attorney Lujan said under information and belief, Deacon Jeff Barcinas and Deacon Steve Martinez were assigned to investigate the abuse and were able to determine G.J. was abused by Mannetta.

According to Post files, Manetta was assigned to Our Lady of Mount Carmel, San Miguel in Talofofo, Santa Teresita, and the St. Fidelis Friary in Guam. He also served at the St. Elizabeth Church in Aiea, Hawaii, and Our Lady of Good Counsel Church in Pearl City, Hawaii.

Mannetta defrocked in 2002

The Archdiocese of Agana has previously said Mannetta was defrocked in 2002 after sexual abuse claims were raised in Hawaii. The case was settled with a $375,000 payment in 2007.

This is the fourth victim from Guam who made allegations against Mannetta.

The lawsuit seeks a minimum of $5 million in damages.


Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.