What happened to other clergy abuse perpetrators?

By Roy Greene And Jeremiah Manion
July 26, 2017

Defrocked priest Paul R. Shanley is slated to be released from prison as early as this week after serving 12 years in prison for raping a Sunday school student in the early 1980s. Shanley, 86, is one of the most notorious Massachusetts figures in the Catholic Church sexual abuse scandal. Here is a look at some of the others, and details of what happened to them.

JOHN GEOGHAN For decades, Geoghan preyed on more than 100 young boys in a half-dozen Boston-area parishes. In February 2002, he was sentenced to nine to 10 years in state prison for fondling a youth at a pool in Waltham. On Aug. 23, 2003, while in protective custody at the maximum security Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Geoghan was strangled and stomped to death in his cell by another inmate.


RONALD H. PAQUIN In 2002, Paquin pleaded guilty to three counts of child rape involving a boy from Haverhill from 1989 to 1992, when he was an associate pastor of St. John the Baptist Church there. Paquin, who is 75, was released from prison in 2015 but arrested again in February following his indictment on 29 new counts of sexual misconduct in Maine.

JOSEPH BIRMINGHAM Birmingham, who died in 1989, was accused of being one of the worst abusers in the Archdiocese of Boston. More than 50 men claimed they were abused by Birmingham during the priest’s 29-year tenure with the Archdiocese.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:

Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.

ROBERT M. BURNS In 2005, Burns pleaded guilty to raping and sexually assaulting five boys while working as a priest in Jamaica Plain and Charlestown in the 1980s and 1990s. He was given an eight- to 11-year prison sentence. Burns has been released and as recently as 2015 was living in Boston.

JAMES F. TALBOT A former Boston College High School priest, teacher, and hockey coach, he faced multiple accusations of abuse. In 2005, when he was 67, Talbot pleaded guilty to molesting two teenage boys during wrestling practice in the late 1970s and was sentenced to five to seven years in jail. He was released in 2011.



Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.