Seattle Catholic Archdiocese Agrees to $1.3 Million Settlement in Sex Abuse Case
By Kate Walter
Northwest Public Radio
September 26, 2017
|Edward Courtney was a member of the Christian Brothers order of priets and taught in Seattle Archdiocese schools. The order declared bankruptcy in 2011 due to numerous sex abuse lawsuits against Courtney and other members.|
The Seattle Catholic Archdiocese has agreed to a $1.3 million settlement with a man who says he was sexually abused at a school near Tacoma.
The man, known only in court documents as M.R., says he was abused by a teacher who had previously molested children at two archdiocesan schools.
M.R. claims the Seattle Archdiocese is liable for his abuse because they knew teacher Edward Courtney posed a risk to children. The lawsuit claims Courtney's abuse at two church-run schools was known. But the church still helped him gain employment in the public school system where he came into contact with M.R.
Jason Amala, M.R's attorney, says his client is pleased with the settlement.
"On the one hand I think he wanted his day in court so that people could learn what happened,” Amala said. “On the other hand, he's the first person to say this has been a very healthy process for him."
In a statement, Seattle Archbishop J. Peter Sartain says he hopes the settlement will bring closure.
A separate lawsuit filed by a different person over abuse by the same teacher is still pending.