Former Midland priest accused of misconduct
By Lori Qualls
Midland Daily News
May 21, 2019
|The Rev. Dennis Kucharczyk |
A Diocese of Saginaw priest who served several area parishes, including Blessed Sacrament in Midland, has been placed on administrative leave from priestly ministry because of an allegation of misconduct involving a minor that occurred years ago, the diocese announced late Tuesday afternoon.
The Rev. Father Kucharczyk was most recently pastor at St. John XXIII Parish, which includes St. Mary Church in Hemlock, Sacred Heart Church in Merrill and St. Patrick Church in Ryan, according to a diocese press release. He was removed from his post on Sunday by Bishop Walter A. Hurley, apostolic administrator.
The diocese received information from law enforcement regarding an allegation of misconduct involving a minor that allegedly occurred many years ago, the diocese stated in a press release. Based on this information, the diocese said it immediately removed Kucharczyk from active ministry.
According to the terms of the leave of absence, Kucharczyk is to have no contact with individuals younger than 21, which prohibits him from going on school properties or participating in school and parish activities and functions. He also was informed that he must refrain from wearing clerical garb, refrain from the exercise of public ministry, and may not present himself publicly as a priest while the allegation is investigated by the diocese.
Kucharczyk was ordained a priest on Oct. 27, 1985.
Here is a list of his assignments:
· Associate pastor of Ss. Peter & Paul, Saginaw (Oct. 27, 1985-July 14, 1986)
· Associate pastor of St. Anne, Linwood (July 14, 1986-July 14, 1988)
· Associate pastor of Blessed Sacrament, Midland (July 14, 1988-June 1, 1991)
· Leave of absence (June 1, 1991-July 14, 1993)
· Pastor of St. Roch, Caseville and sacramental minister at St. Felix, Pinnebog (July 14, 1993-July 18, 2001)
· Pastor of Sacred Heart, Caro (July 18, 2001-June 30, 2015)
· Pastor of St. John XXIII, which includes churches in Hemlock, Merrill and Ryan (June 30, 2015-May 19, 2019).
· In addition, Kucharczyk served in the military ordinariate (serving the military as a chaplain).