Little Rock Diocese Settles Sexual Abuse Claims against Priest for $790,000
June 27, 2019
The Catholic Diocese of Little Rock responded to a settlement between the church and five men who say they were sexually abused by a priest in the 1970s.
The victims, represented by a North Little Rock attorney, said Father John McDaniel sexually abused them when they were students at Holy Souls Catholic School located in Little Rock.
In a list released last year, Bishop Anthony Taylor named priests credibly accused of sexual abuse, one of the names was Father John McDaniel.
The list also urged any other victims to come forward.
The Dioceses' statement outlines the payments it made to settle this case out of court. Diocesan Spokesperson Dennis Lee said the settlement was mediated by a mutually agreed upon third party in May.
Since there was no confidentiality agreement, the victims, the attorneys, and the church are all allowed to release details at any point.
Lee said the Catholic Diocese of little rock paid the victims $790,000 total.
$250,000 came from the church's insurance carrier at the time, and the rest— $540,000 —came directly from the insurance fund of the Diocese.
RELATED: Pope issues new Vatican law: Priests, nuns must report sex abuse, cover-up
“It is extremely likely that there many, many more victims of McDaniel who have yet to come forward, almost certainly from every single one of the Arkansas towns where McDaniel served,” said Gillispie, an attorney for one of the victims.
Both the church and attorneys for the victims ask that any other victim come forward by contacting the Arkansas Child Abuse Hotline, the church, an attorney and the Arkansas chapter of Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests for resources and support.