Catholic Church Ordered to Pay Millions to Wa Abuse Survivor
January 21, 2021
A man abused as an altar boy says he's been vindicated after winning a record payout after more than 40 years.
The man was nine years old when he was first abused by Western Australian priest Bertram Adderley in the Holy Cross Catholic Church Sacristy in Hamilton Hill, Perth, in the 1970s.
"No longer is he a shadow looming over me," the man told 9News.
"There's a big glaring spotlight that I've turned on him."
Adderley on another occasion took the boy to Swanbourne nudist beach before assaulting him in his apartment.
"It was 'our little secret', was his words, and that's why I never said anything," the man said.
In 2018, the victim took on the Catholic Church.
Last week, the Royal Commission into child sex abuse ordered the church to pay the man a record $2.45 million in compensation.
The Archbishop of Perth today acknowledged the Catholic Church's history of sexual abuse, saying he was deeply sorry and ashamed.
The victim said he hoped his story helped others come forward.
"It's not your fault," he said.
"If you're still alive, come forward, and have your vindication."