The Most Rev. Robert Carlson
United Press International
February 15, 1987
The Most Rev. Robert Carlson, auxiliary bishop of the St. Paul and Minneapolis Archdiocese, Sunday denied that the Catholic Church was involved in a coverup of a priest accused in a sex abuse lawsuit.
At a news conference, the bishop said the church in the Twin Cities had no knowledge of the problem with the priest, Rev. Thomas Adamson, until 1980.
Carlson said the priest, who now lives in Winona, Minn., was promptly put in treatment after church officials learned of the problem.
However, Carlson said mistakes were made in the case, saying things would now be handled differently.
He said under current policies a priest accused in a sex abuse case would not be sent to another parish, adding that the priest would be suspended until treatment was completed.
Jeff Anderson, the St. Paul attorney who has filed two lawsuits against church officials in the case, said Winona church leaders knew of the problem when the priest was transferred to the Twin Cities in 1973. He said the information was relayed to church officials in St. Paul.
Anderson charged that church officials in St. Paul assigned the priest to parish work even after his problem was fully known.
Early this month Anderson filed one lawsuit against church officials on behalf of a family whose son allegedy was abused by the priest. Last week he filed another lawsuit stemmed from the alleged sexual abuse of a 13-year-old Dakota County boy in 1982.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.