Ex-Judge Convicted of Assault Accused of Harassing Girl

By Mark A. Hutchison
Daily Oklahoman [Oklahoma City, OK]
February 4, 2000

Robert Foster meted out punishment for 34 years in his Lincoln County courtroom. On Thursday, the retired judge will return to court, this time to dispute allegations he harassed a 14-year-old girl he was convicted of assaulting three years ago.

District Attorney Kay Christiansen is trying to revoke Foster's five-year deferred sentence on a 1988 felony conviction for assault with intent to procure lewd and indecent photographs of a minor child.

"The allegation is basically that he is stalking her. He's gone to her house, to where she's involved in sporting events," Christiansen said.

Foster could not be reached for comment. His attorney, Larry Lenora, did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Foster, 74, was charged in May 1997 with lewd molestation and procuring lewd exhibition of a minor. Prosecutors said he tried to coax the girl, then 12, into letting him photograph her breasts.

The incident happened while the girl and her younger sister were spending the night with Foster in April 1997. He had met the girl at a Meeker church were he was a deacon and she was an altar girl.

Foster pleaded no contest to the assault count.

By amending the charge to assault, Foster was able to get a deferred sentence, meaning his record would be expunged after a probationary period. If convicted of lewd molestation, he would not have been eligible for a deferred sentence.

Christiansen said she opted for the assault charge after consulting with the family.

"They just wanted it behind them and for him to leave them alone," Christiansen said.

Foster was sentenced to at least 25 hours of counseling. He also was to perform 100 hours of community service and pay a $ 500 fine.

Those conditions have been met, Christiansen said.

Foster also was told not to have any contact with the victim or her family. Christiansen is accusing Foster of contacting the girl Feb. 1, 1999, outside the Chandler field house where she was playing basketball.

He is accused of going to the girl's home June 30, and approaching her three times "within 15 to 20 minutes" Sept. 13 at the Chandler softball field.

District Judge D.W. Boyd of Kay and Noble counties is handling Foster's case. He could change Foster's sentence from deferred to suspended and order jail time, Christiansen said.

Foster served as Lincoln County judge from 1951 until 1969, and then as an associate district judge until 1985.

Meanwhile, Christiansen said another girl has filed a complaint against Foster. The prosecutor would not elaborate and said police are investigating.


Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.