Accused Priest Resigns from Panel
Candidates Recruited for WRA Board
By Nick Kotsopoulos
Telegram & Gazette (Massachusetts)
May 8, 2002
WORCESTER — The Rev. Lee F. Bartlett, the former pastor of Sacred Heart Church who has been accused of molesting a boy, has resigned from the board of the Worcester Redevelopment Authority.
City Manager Thomas R. Hoover said last night Rev. Bartlett submitted his letter of resignation several weeks ago, shortly after the allegations against him became public.
Mr. Hoover said the Citizens Advisory Council has advertised the WRA board opening and is seeking candidates to fill the balance of Rev. Bartlett's term.
Rev. Bartlett, who has also been an activist in the South Worcester neighborhood, had been on the WRA since April 1998. His five—year term was supposed to run through April 2003.
Four of the five WRA board members are appointed by the city manager. The fifth member is a state appointee.
When the allegations against Rev. Bartlett first surfaced, Mr. Hoover said he did not intend to ask immediately for Rev. Bartlett's resignation, preferring instead to let the legal process work itself out. The manager said he would ask for the resignation, however, if criminal charges were filed by the district attorney's office.
Soon after that, Mr. Hoover said Rev. Bartlett sent a letter indicating he would like to step down from the WRA board.
Rev. Bartlett was removed as pastor of Sacred Heart parish by Bishop Daniel P. Reilly on March 15.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.