Diocese Settles Sex Abuse Claim
Case Separate from $21m Accord
By Daniel Tepfer
October 22, 2003
BRIDGEPORT — The Roman Catholic Diocese of Bridgeport confirmed Tuesday that it has settled another sexual-abuse claim against one of its priests.
Diocesan spokesman Joseph McAleer said the case involving the Rev. Joseph Moore was settled apart from last Wednesday's $21 million settlement of claims by 40 victims.
McAleer would not disclose the amount of this latest settlement at the victim's request. He said it is being paid, as are the other settlements, through insurance and the sale of undeveloped surplus diocesan property.
Moore, reached at his home in Rutland, Vt., refused to comment either on the accusation against him or the settlement.
Bridgeport lawyer Bruce Gordon, who represents the victim in this case, offered no comment, except to say that it is in the process of being settled.
The settlement was apparently reached at the same time the lawsuit on the case was filed in Superior Court here.
In the lawsuit, the victim, called only John Doe, claims he was sexually assaulted on several occasions by Moore at Assumption Parish in Westport between 1973 and '75 when he was a child.
The suit claims diocesan officials had learned that Moore had been abusing children but assigned him to Assumption Church anyway, where he would still have access to children.
In 2001, the diocese settled another claim against Moore, who was accused of molesting a boy at St. Mary Parish in Bethel in the early 1980s.
McAleer said Moore in 1997 was removed from ministry and has no authorization to serve as a priest.
Moore was stationed at St. Theresa's Parish in Trumbull from 1972 to '73, Assumption Church from 1974 to '75, St. Joseph Church in Danbury from 1976 to '81, and St. Mary's Church in Bethel from 1982 to '83.
From 1984 to '96, he is listed in church records as being on duty outside the diocese.
Any original material on these pages is copyright © BishopAccountability.org 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.