Where to Get Help
Agencies You Can Contact If You Have Been a Victim of Sexual Abuse

By Ted Slowik
The Herald News
April 21, 2002

Area counseling agencies that provide individual and family counseling, according to the Joliet Police Department:

  • Family Counseling Agency of Will & Grundy Counties, 62 W. Washington St., Joliet, (815) 722-4384.

  • Lutheran Family Services, 407 W. Jefferson St., Joliet, (815) 726-5774.

  • Catholic Charities, 203 N. Ottawa St., Joliet, (815) 723-3405.

  • Central Professional Group, 210 N. Hammes Ave., (815) 725-6511.

    Specialists in childhood sexual abuse, according to the Joliet Police Department:

  • Childhood Trauma Treatment Center, Quadrangle Drive, Suite 4, Bolingbrook, (800) 216-1110.

    Groups for survivors of clergy abuse:

  • Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests (SNAP), [WEB SITE]. Its mission is to reach out to survivors and prevent further abuse through public education and advocacy. National office: P.O. Box 6416, Chicago, IL, 60680. Midwest Region SNAP meeting: Second Tuesday of the month, 7 to 9 p.m., 875 N. Dearborn, Suite 400, Chicago. Facilitator: Barbara Blaine, (312) 409-2720.

  • The Link Up, Its mission is to assist and empower victims and survivors and to persuade the various institutional churches to develop and implement responsible, accountable policies that will assist compassionately in the healing of victims and abusers. National office: The Linkup Inc., 5315 N. Clark St., Suite 214, Chicago, IL 60640-2133, (847) 475-4622.

    Another service available:

  • Sexual Assault Service Center: 6 p.m. Fridays, a program of Guardian Angel Home, sponsors a support group for sexual assault survivors; group is open to anyone who is above the age of 15 and has been the victim of a sexual assault, (815) 729-0930, Ext. 330.


    Any original material on these pages is copyright © 2004. Reproduce freely with attribution.