November 28, 2012
A MAN allegedly sexually abused by a priest as a child who exacted revenge by unleashing his ”deeply entrenched hatred” for the Catholic order by burgling dozens of its churches in suburban Melbourne has been jailed for a maximum of four years.
A judge had heard the man’s ”rancour and rage” against the Catholic Church surfaced 20 years ago in South Australia when he was first convicted of ”sacrilege” offences.
His barrister told the County Court earlier this month that after his client’s removal a year ago as a worker with the St Vincent de Paul Society, the ”rage and anger that has so dominated his life took over and he became unstable”.
Barrister Mark Regan said the man, now 44, had a ”deeply entrenched belief system of the wrong perpetrated against him” by the priest and the Catholic Church, which he resented.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.