Hundreds of Anglican clergy accused of sexual abuse could potentially be missing from a national register kept by the church.
The register was set up by the Anglican Church as a central repository of information about complaints and findings of abuse. It can be accessed by each diocese when someone applies for a job.
The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse heard on Wednesday that the register was not working.
Martin Drevikovsky, general secretary of the Anglican Church of Australia, said a large number of files had still to be processed and that historical information needed to be entered on the system.
In a statement to the commission, he said the Sydney diocese was reviewing 600 files which had been referred to a lawyer.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.