Australian Associated Press
theguardian.com, Wednesday 29 January 2014
A Salvation Army officer who allegedly raped boys and sent them to the homes of other people to be sexually assaulted had been acquitted when brought to trial, an inquiry has been told.
Detective Inspector Rick John Cunningham told the royal commission into institutional responses to child sexual abuse on Thursday that the child protection enforcement agency investigated allegations made in 1996 about abuse at a boys’ home in the southern Sydney suburb of Bexley and at the Gill Memorial Home in Goulburn, New South Wales.
Both homes were run by the Salvation Army and the allegations were made during investigations arising out of the Wood royal commission into NSW police.
At the Wood hearing, a witness identified as EP gave evidence about being sexually assaulted by Captain Lawrence Wilson at Bexley and gave names of others who were allegedly assaulted by Wilson and Captain Russell Walker while at Bexley.
Note: This is an Abuse Tracker excerpt. Click the title to view the full text of the original article. If the original article is no longer available, see our News Archive.